DOGLAND and other dog book news
Just a quick post to update you on all things DOGLAND:
- Saturday, May 14, I will be promoting DOGLAND at Pet Valu in Hillsborough, NJ. All proceeds from book sales will be donated to SAVE, which will also be onsite with some of its adoptable dogs.
- Sunday, May 22, I will be at Pet Rescue of Mercer’s 8th Annual Pet Fest at Veteran’s Park in Hamilton, NJ. Proceeds will go to Pet Rescue of Mercer.
- Interested in the story behind the writing of DOGLAND? Have questions about why so many Southern dogs live out their lives in New Jersey? Want to know how to tell if that rescue you see at your local pet retailer is legit? If you’d like to know the answers to these questions or if you have questions of your own, I will be speaking and signing books at the Morristown & Morris Township Library at 7 p.m. on June 2nd. Proceeds will go to animal welfare organizations profiled in DOGLAND.
- My goals in writing DOGLAND were simple: Get the book published. Sell it. Donate the proceeds to animal welfare. Of course, to sell a book, you need to promote it, and nothing promotes a book more positively than word of mouth or winning an award. Kevin encouraged me to not forego the latter, and I’m glad I listened. To date, DOGLAND has received three awards: The Maxwell Award from the Dog Writers Association of America for Best Rescue Book of 2015, a 2015 Nautilus Silver Award for Journalism/Investigative Reporting, and a 2016 Next Generation Indie Book Award in the Animals/Pets category. Hopefully, the publicity that comes with winning these awards will lead to increased sales and bigger donations. To all of you who have shared my Facebook posts and talked up DOGLAND to your friends and family, THANK YOU! (And please keep up the good work!)
In other dog book news:
- Kim Kavin’s new dog book, The Dog Merchants: Inside the Big Business of Breeders, Pet Stores, and Rescuers is now out. You can read my review at Ecolit Books.
Jacki Skole is an award-winning journalist, author and adjunct professor of communication. A graduate of the University of Michigan and Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism, she spent a decade as a writer and producer at CNN before turning to teaching. Jacki launched WRITE Now to assist students in writing the college application essays that will chart their future. Read More...